What is an Adjustable Bed?
An adjustable bed essential refers to a bed base that can be raised or lowered to offer different sleeping positions. In the past, adjustable beds were common in hospitals to accommodate injured patients or those who required an angled sleeping surface. They were also essential in helping reduce pain, pressure, and swelling while also promoting circulation. These features made them superb options for patients recovering from various medical procedures.
Today, adjustable beds are not only meant for hospitals but also for private use, especially among seniors. They are a great option for snorers or those with back and shoulder pains, as well as other injuries.
Benefits of Adjustable Beds
Unlike standard beds, adjustable beds have become very popular among consumers as they're comfortable. Whether you want an inclined or reclined sleeping position, this is very possible by just dialing a button. They are also perfect for enhancing your sleeping experience and your overall well-being.
That being said, here are some of the benefits of an adjustable bed.
- Great in reducing snoring
- Improves your blood circulation
- Can increase swelling and pressure on your joints
- Can improve breathing, which is vital in the overall functionality and well-being of your body's organs
- Can significantly reduce acid reflux symptoms
- Can reduce chronic pain
- Offers a high level of comfort and relaxation
Some of the Drawbacks
Just like with everything else, there are some drawbacks that you should know before buying an adjustable bed.
- Expensive - Many adjustable beds cost between $1,000 and $3,000, which is quite expensive when compared to traditional beds. You should consider yourself very lucky if you find a reliable adjustable bed that costs less than $1,000
- Very Heavy - Adjustable beds are designed to support the heaviest sleepers, so most of them weigh over 200 pounds. As such, assembling, moving, or setting them up can be quite challenging.
- Are less Durable - Adjustable beds are not as durable as traditional beds. They come with various electric and mechanical parts that can easily break down. That's why they come with many years of warranty and months of trials.
- They're Noisy - The fact that they're designed with several mechanical and electrical parts can make them noisy, especially when these parts start to wear off.
Common Features of Adjustable Beds
Many adjustable beds often come with the following features.
- Zero-Gravity Preset - Zero-Gravity position refers to a position where the legs are raised higher than the head. This creates an S-shaped position, which is often associated with enhancing pain and pressure relief. This is why adjustable beds are perfect for people suffering from high blood pressure and lower back pain.
- Dual Adjustment - This can allow you to split the bed lengthwise or offer customizable settings on both sides of the bed.
- Customizable Height - Some beds are adjustable at the end to help in increasing or decreasing height.
- Memory Position - Most adjustable beds can memorize and store your favorite sleeping position. They will instantly switch to your favorite position with the touch of a button.
- Built-in Massage - Most adjustable beds are designed with rippling effects to offer massage to users.
- Wall-hugging Technology - This is to help when transitioning from one position to another so that the space between the wall and the bed remains the same.
- A/C plugs, USB ports, and App accessibility - They are designed with built-in plugs, USB ports of charging various devices, and apps that can allow you to remotely control the bed from your mobile device.
- Anti-snore preset - Many people often snore because their heads aren't properly elevated. Adjustable beds can automatically raise your head to the desired height and reduce snoring.
Things to Consider when Buying an Adjustable Bed
You should consider the following factors before buying an adjustable bed.
One of the most important things to look at when buying an adjustable bed is its weight capacity. This should revolve around how much weight the bed can lift and hold while in position. Of course, you do not want to buy an adjustable bed that will require you to get out of bed just for it to be adjusted. The appropriate weight capacity of an adjustable bed should, therefore, be not less than 750 pounds.
Before spending your money on an adjustable bed, it's vital to know the measurements of your room. You certainly do not want to find yourself with a bed that is too big for your room or worst still, too small for your size.
Type of Mattress
While various mattresses are suitable for adjustable beds, the best option is the memory foam mattress. This is because it's so versatile and can be moved quickly and easily flattened. It's, however, important to consider the type of mattress that the bed's manufacturer recommends.
Honestly speaking, adjustable beds can be costly, especially when compared to traditional beds. However, they offer numerous benefits that make them worth the prices. Fortunately, they're available at various price points to fit every budget.
Warranty and Return Policy
Most adjustable beds come with warranties of at least ten years and return policies after a given trial period. There are the most important things to check before spending your hard-earned money. You should be able to return the bed within a specified time (mostly 30 days) and get refunded.
Top 5 Adjustable Beds
Here are the top 5 adjustable beds currently available on the market.
Dynasty DM9000s Adjustable Bed - Best Overall
The Dynasty DM9000s Adjustable bed is unquestionably the most-feature rich adjustable bed you'll find in the world right now. Loaded with all the major features that you may want in an adjustable bed, this bed can fold in four different places. This is essential in enabling you to find the perfect bed shape that improves your lumbar support and comfortability while asleep or when watching or reading from your bed.
This adjustable bed comes with lots of incredible features including Bluetooth speakers complete with a subwoofer to keep you entertained or if you want a music system that will soothe you into sleep. It can enable massages in four different places, comes with app integration, under-bed LED lighting, and USB ports.
Additionally, this adjustable bed can be easily controlled by an easy-to-use wireless remote control and is available in all the standard mattress sizes. Better still, you can easily adjust the bed to your comfortable height. The fact that this excellent comes with 10-year parts and labor warranty speaks volumes of the level of quality you're dealing with. As part of customer service, Dynasty ensures that the bed is delivered to you, assembled, and set up based on your preferences.
- Excellent for those who suffer from back pains thanks to its lumbar support
- Offers superb massage functionality in four areas
- Perfect for those who love listening to music in bed thanks to its Bluetooth speaker and subwoofers
- Perfect for couples
- Easily controllable through wireless remote
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
- Doesn't have an elevation lift
- Can go out of stock quickly
Amerisleep Adjustable Bed+ - Best Luxury
If the Dynasty DM9000s ran out of stock for its incredible features, you can opt for Amerisleep Adjustable Bed+. This is one of the best brands in the world and offers excellent health benefits along with reasonable pricing. Although it may look like other adjustable beds out there, it's stylishly and modernly designed. The fact that it is far from the outdated adjustable beds that are noisy makes it an amazing solution for today's elderly people.
Its futuristic MicroHook retention system is one of the best as it creates almost no friction between the base and its width. So if you do not want the old retainer bars, this adjustable bed will offer a sense of modern refreshment to your room. This adjustable bed provides head and foot articulation and includes a plethora of fun features such as programmable positions, built-in USB ports, under-bed lightning, Zero-Gravity base, an easy-to-use wireless remote control, and flat presets to enable you to adjust the be to your favorite position.
We all know that sleeping in zero-gravity has several health benefits such as fewer aches and pains, enhanced articulation, and relief from sleep apnea, and snoring. This is an innovation that this bed gives a priority so that you can enjoy your sleep. Thanks to other features such as built-in dual wave massagers and sleep-promoting bells, sleeping has never been this comfortable.
- Comes with some of the best technologies in the industry
- It is reasonably priced
- It's modern and sleek
- Circling wave massager is excellent for muscle and pressure relief
- Loaded with amazing extra features such as a USB port and sleep-promoting bells
- It is wall hugging to keep you close to the nightstand even in the upright position
- It has no lumbar support
- No elevation lift and lacks furniture-style decking.
Leggett & Platt S-Cape 2.0 - The Most Comfortable
If you're in the market for the most comfortable adjustable bed, look no further than the Leggett & Platt S-Cape 2.0 series. This is a premium adjustable bed that offers a wide range of amazing features that are meant to be utterly comfortable and give you the most perfect sleeping experience.
It features an extremely comfortable memory foam mattress, a wireless remote control, programmable positions, dual massage, and is rightly one of the best adjustable beds available on the market today. This bed has a quiet and reliable DC motor that makes it a lot more convenient to adjust, setup, and control. You can use the easy-to-use wireless remote control to alter the bed to your favorite position.
In terms of size, this adjustable bed is available in a wide range of sizes to give the option of choosing your ideal size. Some of the available sizes include twin size, queen size, twin XL size, full size, full XL size, and many more.
That's not all; the intuitive design of this bed makes it sleek, modern, and stylish. Although it may look like any conventional adjustable bed, its excellent features are perfectly placed and can be easily accessed. If anything, this is one of the cleanest designs you can find on the market today.
- Comes with excellent remote controls so you won't need much physical effort to adjust the bed to your favorite position
- It has a dual massager and a wall hugger for overall comfort
- Available in a wide range of sizes
- Comes with lumbar support and elevation lift
- It is sleek, stylish, and modern
- It is moderately priced
- It's one of the quietest adjustable beds
- The DC motor isn't durable
- Wireless controls are unreliable
Nectar Adjustable Bed Frame - Fastest Set-up Bed Frame
As a company, Nectar Sleep is widely known for selling some of the best memory foam mattresses to consumers. These mattresses are medically-approved and known to be great for seniors. The company is also known for its excellent adjustable bed frame, which offers outstanding head and feet elevation through its Zero-Gravity positioning.
This superb adjustable bed is perfect not just for elders but also for snorers and gives you the chance to present your favorite position. The best feature of this adjustable bed is that it's one of the fastest and easiest beds to set up. Some additional features include USB ports and wireless remote to make it a lot easier to control.
More importantly, the bed comes with a built-in massager that provides zoned vibrations for different areas of your body. This makes it very effective in targeting pain and pressure areas, which is great for your general well-being.
Another outstanding feature about the Nectar Adjustable Bed Frame is its price range. Unbelievably, this bed will cost you a lot less than an average adjustable bed. This is a great adjustable bed frame that will offer amazing pressure and pain relief for your body and allow you to make your sleep healthy and more enjoyable but as long as you choose an appropriate mattress.
- It's quite affordable even if the mattress is included
- It offers superb three-zone massage
- Perfect for all weight groups (light, average, and heavy)
- Great for those with back and shoulder pains, as well as snorers
- It offers multiple positions include Zero-Gravity
- The 3-year warranty isn't sufficient
- The USB ports are difficult to access
Lucid L3000 - Best Budget Friendly
You certainly do not have to break the bank to buy a superb, comfortable, and reliable adjustable bed. So if you're on the market for an affordable adjustable bed that doesn't sacrifice the amazing features, the Lucid L3000 is the right answer. Made with durable material and carefully designed, this adjustable bed is compact and will fit in almost any home or room. Its Charcoal Gray coat is gorgeous and the edges of the bed frame are perfectly curved to make it a work of art that's meant to offer you comfort and the utmost relaxation.
This bed comes with an utterly comfortable 10-inch mattress that's designed to conform to your body. It's also very versatile as each part can be reclined or lifted independently. With that in mind, you can incline the head to 60 degrees and incline the foot up to 45 degrees. So it doesn't matter whether you want a higher head for reading or watching, this bed is easily adjustable to augment your comfort.
And because Lucid puts a lot of emphasis on your comfort, this adjustable bed is designed with easy-to-control features to ensure that you can adjust the bed to your favorite position with ease. In addition to the wireless remote control, this bed comes with a programmable memory option that can store and remember your favorite positions.
In essence, this is an excellent adjustable bed that can be a great option if you're on a tight budget. You'll spend less than $1,000 without sacrificing the most important features.
- It's durable
- Its 750-pound weight makes it reliable and strong for all sizes
- It's available in a wide range of sizes
- It is sleek, modern, and stylish
- It is one of the most affordable adjustable beds
- It has programmable positions
- Come with adjustable legs
- It is a little heavy
- It's only adjustable on the head and feet
Few things can beat adjustable beds when it comes to sleeping comfortably and augmenting your health and overall well-being. Fortunately, you won't have to start your research from scratch.