Table of Contents
Ways to Fix the "Last Line Not Available" Error
Turn Airplane Mode On and Off
Airplane Mode is the go-to solution for network-related problems on iPhones. For occasional network glitches, resetting the radios often does the trick. Here is what you need to do.
- From the top right corner of the screen, scroll down. You will end up in the Control Center. Once you are there, tap on the Airplane Mode setting, and within a few seconds, it will turn on.
- Now, wait a few seconds and tap the Airplane Mode button once again to turn it off.
- Now, try dialing a number with your preferred line.
Clean the Latest Call Log
According to several iPhone users, clearing their call log has worked for them to resolve this issue. Follow these steps to clean the recent call log.
- First, you must launch the phone app on your iPhone. Then, move towards the bottom to the Recent tab. Then, move to the top right corner of the screen, and tap "edit."
- From there, move to the top left corner of the screen and tap "clear." Next, tap the "clear all" option. By doing so, you will confirm the deletion.
- Once this is done, you will have to restart your iPhone.
- After the phone restarts, make a call with the default phone number. If no pop-up appears, the problem is solved.
Force Restart the Phone
The best thing about force restarting your iPhone is that it clears your cache and removes unnecessary files. This helps solve multiple iOS issues on your iPhone. Here are a few things you need to do.
If you use the iPhone 8 or a later model, you have to press the volume up and the volume down buttons at the same time. Next up, push and hold the power button until you see the Apple icon on the screen.
- If you have an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, you must simultaneously press the volume down button and the power button. Keep holding the two until the Apple icon appears on the screen.
- If you have an iPhone 6, 6 plus, or earlier models, you must simultaneously press the power button and the home button. Hold the two buttons until the Apple icon appears and the screen goes black.
Try Switching from One SIM to the Next
The good thing about IOS is that it allows you to switch between SIMs when making calls. Even if you have set a default phone number, you always have the option to change it. Switching between SIMs allows you to troubleshoot the "last line no longer available" error. Here is what you need to do.
- Tap on the "i" right next to the contact you want to call -> default phone number -> alternate phone number. If you are dialing a phone number manually, tap your primary phone number while choosing the alternate SIM.
Update Your Carrier Settings
Sometimes the "last line no longer available" issue has something to do with your carrier settings, and updating the carrier settings is a viable solution. The good news is that carriers offer some valuable updates which not only troubleshoot problems but also boost the overall performance of an iPhone. Here are a few steps you must follow.
- Access and open the settings application on your phone. From there, go to "general" and "about." You will receive a message asking you to update the carrier settings.
- Next up, hit update on the pop-up, and you are ready.
Reinsert Your SIM
If none of the solutions mentioned above have worked for you, try removing and reinserting the SIM. Removing and reinserting the SIM is an age-old technique that helps solve various cellular phone issues. First, turn off your iPhone. Next up, using a SIM ejection tool, pull out the SIM tray, and wait for a few minutes.
Now, push the sim card tray back into the iPhone. Once the SIM is inside, press the power button, and hold it until the phone turns on. After turning the phone on, call and see if the issue persists. Nine times out of 10, removing and reinserting the SIM eliminates the problem.
Try Resetting Network Settings
One of the best ways to troubleshoot any network-related problem is to reset the network settings. Because the "last line no longer available" issue is also related to the e-SIM, you shouldn't waste time before resetting the network settings. Here is what you should do.
- Go to the Settings application on your iPhone. There, press "general" and then press "Reset." Then, press "reset network settings."
- Next up, enter your phone's passcode and tap "reset network settings." By doing so, you will confirm your selection.
Reset All Settings
When all else fails, the best thing you can do is wipe away all the existing settings. Once all the current settings are gone, you can set up the device from scratch, which helps solve all the problems.
To reset all settings on your iPhones, you will follow a similar pattern to what we explained in the previous point, but with some differences.
- Access the Settings app on your iPhone. Then, go to "general" followed by "transfer or reset." From there, go to "reset" and then press "reset all settings."
- Next up, enter the passcode of your iPhone, and tap "reset all settings" to confirm your selection.
The "last line no longer available" error is a frustrating one. The worst part is that it wastes time, especially when you have to make urgent calls. If you are ever faced with this issue, try out the hacks mentioned above. While these techniques are helpful, the best method is resetting all settings. It removes the burden off your iPhone and gives it a fresh start.