Table of Contents
Check Your Ethernet Cable
As we discussed earlier, checking the Ethernet cable is the most common solution to a yellow light on a Verizon FIOS router. So, what does this cable do? This cable is responsible for connecting the router to the internet service within your area.
Usually, due to prolonged usage, the cord can get a little worn out. A worn-out Ethernet cable also becomes loose. House pests like mice can also damage the cable. Here is what you need to do.
- Take a look towards the back of the router to get a better look at the cables. Remember, there are two cables known as Ethernet cables.
- Once the cables are located, check whether they are connected properly. If they’re loose, this could be why you’re getting the yellow light.
- Very gently, push them back in and see whether the device can connect again.
- Next, you need to check the cable for damage. Cables tend to wear out with time, and if these cables have been around for long, it's time to have them replaced.
Changing Ethernet cables is a technical process. Therefore, it is better to assign the task to a professional technician.
Reboot the Router
Now that the Ethernet cables are in place, the next thing you need to do is to check the router. Start by rebooting your router.
- To begin, turn the router off. Some routers have backup batteries in them. So, make sure those batteries are disconnected before moving on with the inspection.
- Once the router is turned off and the batteries disconnected, wait for 30 seconds.
- Then, turn the router on, and connect the backup batteries, if any. Give your router some time to reboot.
- If you see a white light, it is a sign of a connection being formed, and everything is functioning perfectly.
Nine times out of 10, rebooting the router will fix most problems, and your internet connection will be back.
Unplug Your Ethernet Cable
This is just like rebooting the router, but with a few differences. Here are some steps you need to follow.
- First of all, unplug the Ethernet cable and then unplug the Verizon router.
- Next, plug your router back in and give it some time before you see the green light. Remember, the green light will turn orange for a bit, so don't panic.
- Lastly, plug the Ethernet cable back into the router.
If the rebooting session fails, this will help solve the issue. You can even try to repeat the process twice if it doesn't work the first time.
Allow the Router to Cool Down
In some cases, the router shows a yellow light because the device has overheated. Due to working non-stop, the router tends to heat up, which happens with any other electronic device. The good news is that modern routers don't overheat too easily, which keeps their performance intact.
However, it isn't abnormal for them to feel a little hot to your touch. The best thing to do is shut them down and let them cool off. When turning off the router, disconnect the backup batteries, if any.
This way, the batteries won't keep running after the router has been shut down. Sometimes, overheating also occurs due to your router's location and placement. If such is the case, try relocating your router. Don't place it in an insulated place or near a heating system.
Reset the Router
Another way to fix this issue is by resetting the router. By resetting the router, you will restore it to its factory settings. Here are some benefits of resetting the router.
- It clears out all the cache, which means your router will start to work unburdened.
- It helps prevent hacking or attacks someone might launch against the hardware.
If you don't know already, most routers today have a reset button in the form of a pinhole on the back of the router. You must press the button and hold it for less than 20 seconds. It will take a few minutes before the router reboots, and the connection is restored.
Light Blinking Yellow for the Extender
Sometimes, the blinking yellow light on the router indicates that the extender trying to pair with the router isn't close enough. If the light blinks faster, the extender is close by and getting into the range required by the router - the range where it can pick signals from the router.
This issue is not as complex as it might seem. You must place the extender near the router, where it can pick the right amount of signals to connect. Once they are closer, you should wait for a few minutes for the connection to form. Once that happens, the light will turn white, which alludes to a stable and strong connection.
Contact Customer Support
Sometimes, you try all the solutions mentioned above, but the yellow light stays. In such cases, all you can do is contact your internet service provider. Sometimes, due to some maintenance work, your connection gets affected. The sad part is that you can't do anything on your end. You might also have no internet connection for a few minutes or hours.
Usually, the customers are contacted by the service providers before the maintenance work starts. If they don't, you can always call them and share your problem. For better or for worse, they are the ones that can solve your problem or at least let you know when the connection will resume.
The solid yellow light on a Verizon router alludes to a connection problem. It would help if you inspected the Ethernet cables or rebooted the router. You can also reset the router, turn it off, and give it some time to cool off before it can connect without lagging. Your best bet is to contact the internet service provider if all fails.